Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Just One Little Chromosome

I'm pretty lucky. My Aunt works at EA Sports and she gets to do a lot of great things for kids who need it. And sometimes, I get to come along for the ride. She has spent years helping to grant wishes for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, hosting kids with Muscular Dystrophy, and putting on events for the Special Olympics. She works with EA Outreach and gets paid to make a difference in people's lives. You might think I might be exaggerating her works, but I'm not. In fact, not too long ago, she was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for her works! It is to "honour significant contributions and achievements by Canadians". And she was most definitely worthy. Last weekend, she invited me to come out to a Special Olympics event she was putting on at EA Sports in Burnaby. I got to bring along my camera and capture some really special moments. I won't share a lot, but I'll share a few.

This fella had the most impressive grin!
 
Mastering some balancing skills

 
Making a new friend

 
This ball of energy loved to spin! Didn't matter who he was spinning with!

 
At the end of the day, I caught this volunteer signing "Thank You" to one of the participants

 
One of the things I love to do, is spend time with developmentally disabled folks, but most specifically, I love kids with down syndrome. They say the cause is just one extra chromosome. Just that one tiny little thing, adds loads and loads of love and gives them bigger hearts and souls than anyone who has the 'proper number' of their chromosomes. In fact, I have met some people in my life who could stand to gain a chromosome.  Maybe it would make them kinder! Ever heard the saying "Give a lot, Get a lot"? It's true. Live your life by seizing opportunities to help people. Give of yourself and you'll become a better person for it. I'm not going to use my blog to toot my own horn and list the things that I may or may not do. I'd just like to encourage you to give it a try for yourself!


1 comment:

skonn said...

It's the extra chromosome of awesomeness! Love your pics :)